The original Little Tring Bridge - built circa 1797
Built circa 1797’ by William Jessop, chief engineer for Grand Junction Canal Company in brown brick with red brick arch and blue brick band to base of parapet. It was a single track road bridge with the towpath passing under the bridge on the right as one passed upstream towards Wendover. This bridge was not a Listed Structure.
It was demolished in March 1973, despite considerable opposition, because the expenditure for repairs was not acceptable.
This effectively cut-off the, then disused, canal at this point and left the dry canal bed beyond in the possession of Little Tring Farm under a long term lease.
To read the full story of the old bridge & demolition - click here
Little Tring Bridge - re-building commenced July 2000
Sept 2000: Foundations dug & scaffolding for the south abutment in place
Little Tring Bridge - On Wednesday 21st June 2000 the Trust Council voted unanimously to contribute costs to British Waterways for the rebuilding of Little Tring Bridge.
In July 2000, a 5 months contract , was placed and work started to rebuild the bridge. Of course, work has been taking place for many years, when you count the many fund raising events and efforts, but on 24th July the road was officially closed for the construction work to begin.
The initial task was to place the various site huts on the dry bed of the canal and fence off the site for safety reasons. Next, trial pits were dug to reveal the line of the various services. The gas pipe was found to be closer to the works than previously thought, and in a potentially dangerous position. However, thanks to a prompt and very welcome decision by TRANSCO, the pipes have already been diverted at no cost to the Trust. Transco's decision was welcome, not least because the Trusts funds would barely cover the costs of the bridge work.
Oct 2000: Abutment concrete cast and facing brickwork commenced
February 2001: The bridge is re-opened for pedestrians.
Jan 2001: Saffolding is removed from under the bridge.
May 2001: The finished bridge.
The official opening - May 27th 2001
Opening May 27th 2001
On 27th May 2001 the new bridge was officially opened marking a major milestone in the restoration of the canal.